- Walk or jog in place while watching TV.
- Park farther away from the store to increase the amount of time you walk during the day.
- Take a 10 minute break every few hours just to walk.
- Meet up with friends and go for a walk instead of going out for coffee.
- Wear a pedometer and try and increase the amount of steps you walk per week by 500 each week.
- Walking 30 minutes at an average pace of 3 mph will burn approximately 168 calories.
- This is especially fun if you have small kids. Turn on some music and have a “dance party”.
- Learn some new dances for date night.
- Fast dancing for 30 minutes burns 214 calories.
General Calisthenics: Push-ups, Leg lifts, calf raises, crunches, bicep curls
- See how many you can do in one commercial and then progress to doing as many as you can during an entire commercial break.
- 30 minutes of calisthenics each day can burn an average of 173 calories.
- Use the steps in your home to do repetitions and tone your legs.
- Take the stairs at work or at the mall instead of the elevator.
- 30 minutes of stair activities can help you burn an average of 311 calories.
Work in the garden:
- Make your yard beautiful while you burn calories.
- Working in the garden for 30 minutes will burn an average of 209 calories.
Clean your house:
- Make your house beautiful while you burn calories.
- Cleaning house for 30 minutes will help you burn an average of 112 calories.
Ride your bike:
- Taking your bike instead of your car can help you save gas and 30 minutes of this activity can help you burn an average of 153 calories.
- While stretching may not burn many calories, it is an important addition to any exercise routine. 30 seconds per stretch, one time per day, 5 times per week is the best way to keep your muscles flexible.
The important thing is to mix and match these activities and get moving 30 minutes a day 5 days per week. Remember to always speak to your doctor before you start any exercise activity and always utilize all safety measures when exercising.